Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Posters Reading 4/3

Everyday, one of the first things I see when I wake up is a poster of pop-country singer Taylor Swift.  As I walk into my kitchen to start a cup of coffee, I walk through my living room and see three more posters--one of Big Ben and a red double-decker bus in London, one of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, and one of the actors from the TV show "Friends".  When I walk back into my bathroom to put on makeup and fix my hair, I pass a poster of Disney's "The Little Mermaid".  Shortly thereafter, I will walk out of my apartment building and across UT's campus to class, bombarded by  various posters everywhere I go.  I pass all these posters, but I never really give a second thought to why they were designed the way they were.  In my apartment, we chose the posters because they remind my roommates and me of where we want to travel in the future, of our favorite t.v. characters, my roommate's favorite childhood movie, and my favorite singer/songwriters.  The article I read on posters made me realize just how much thought goes into posters.  The graphic designers contracted to create them carefully orchestrated the posters to draw our eyes in a specific direction, to get our attention, and to give us the information they want us to have.  They control our thoughts without us even thinking twice about what we are doing.  The graphics, and often the type, capture our attention and draw us in.  Posters are iconic, giving us a little glimpse of what was going on when the poster was created through their use of imagery, colors, style of type, and the message conveyed.  To me, the most interesting thing about this reading was realizing just how much thought goes into the posters that I see on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment